How to Replace the Brakes on a 2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette
Accessing the Brakes
- 1). Park the Silhouette on a hard and level piece of ground.
- 2). Loosen the lug nuts on both front tires using the tire iron.
- 3). Put the floor jack under the front of the minivan and lift the front end by the frame.
- 4). Place a floor jack under the A-frame at each front wheel and lower the minivan onto the jack stands.
- 5). Remove the lug nuts then both front tires.
Replacing the Brakes
- 1). Use the ratchet and socket set to remove the bolts on the back of the brake assembly. The bolt size should be 15 mm.
- 2). Slide the screw driver between the brake assembly and the brake rotor, then pry outwards to get the assembly off of the brake rotor.
- 3). Tap the back of the brake pads to remove them from the brake assembly using the screwdriver.
- 4). Insert the new brake pads and set the brake assembly over the brake rotor.
- 5). Insert and tighten the bolts that hold the brake assembly in place using the ratchet and sockets.
Completing the Replacement
- 1). Replace the brakes on the other side of the Silhouette.
- 2). Set the tires on the front axles and then screw on the lug nuts to evenly seat the tire on the hub.
- 3). Lift the front of the minivan off of the jack stands using the floor jack.
- 4). Remove the jack stands and lower the minivan to the ground.
- 5). Tight the lug nuts on both front tires of the Silhouette.