9 Things to Check When Selecting a Heating and Cooling Company
However, nearly as important as having a dependable HVAC system, is having a heating and cooling company you can count on for maintenance and repairs. So, before you make your next HVAC purchase, take a few minutes to consider the heating and cooling company, too.
There are several key character traits of a heating and cooling company for which you will want to look.
- Everyone loves to save money, but this is not the place to choose the lowest price available. Cheap prices often mean the company will cut corners on maintenance and repair needs, thus costing you more in the long run. Also, they often have trouble keeping quality or well trained, up to date technicians which means you won't get the work you need.
- Don't hire a company without doing due diligence! Check out their track record. Learn how long they have been in business (ideally at least 7 years), what guarantees they offer, how current their diagnostic and field experience is, and any reports that may be shown in the Better Business Bureau. While on the BBB, check to see that their start date matches what their advertising claims.
- If the company's promises sound too good to be true, beware. There are likely many unpleasant details in the fine print.
- Selecting a heating and cooling company from the Yellow Pages, means that the company has had to pay for said advertisement, and you are picking up part of the advertising tab.
- Look for an Energy Star certification. These companies are held to higher standards of knowledge and workmanship. You will also want a company that offers Energy Star products as this means you have a better selection of products from which to choose.
- Ask for a home evaluation. You may even want to have a few of these done and compare notes.
- If a company discourages you from opting for higher efficiency products, then be wary. Many times, these companies have not kept up with the latest advancements in heating and cooling.
- The company you select should work out of an office—not the back of their van or truck. Having the office, shows stability.
- Look for a heating and cooling company that belongs to a professional association such as the Air Conditioning Contractors of America. These companies are held to higher standards.
A dependable heating and cooling company is a must have, no matter what type of HVAC system you choose or where you live. Ask questions and take your time. But if you need help in New Brighton, the pros at Prescription Heating and Cooling will be happy to help you.