Interior Design Ideas for Small Rooms
- Add more space to a small room with interior decorating techniques.Modern tastefully decorated living room image by MAXFX from Fotolia.com
Whether you live in an apartment, loft or condominium, small spaces often present a design dilemma. When decorated incorrectly, the space can feel cramped and uncomfortable. Make the most of the room with interior decorating methods specifically created for managing small rooms. These include avoiding clutter and integrating space-opening decorating techniques that create a comfortable and spacious atmosphere. By selecting appropriate furniture for the space and the right lighting, you can transform the room into an inviting living space.
- The key to selecting furniture for a small space is to choose pieces that are the right size for the room. Choose a few large pieces of furniture instead of lots of small ones. Accent chairs, benches and ottomans all provide examples of suitable furniture for small spaces. It is also important not to add too much furniture to the room. Do not think you need to add a piece to each wall of the room. Arrangement also plays a key role. Organize the furniture in a way that opens the room, not closes it. Keep furnishings away from doors and windows, as this tends to make the space seem smaller. If you opt for a rug, select one that is slightly smaller than the surface area of the room.
- If the room has dark walls, use lighting to create the illusion of more space. Play around with lighting effects such as wall lighting and lighted wall fixtures. Use track lighting to accentuate wall paintings. Also, leave windows free of treatments to allow natural light to enter the room. This makes the room appear larger and more spacious. If you choose to cover the windows, choose a sheer fabric.
- Mirrors work well in small rooms by reflecting an opposing wall. This reflecting quality makes the room appear larger and more spacious. They also reflect light from windows, which gives an expansive appearance to an undersized room. Select a mirror style that works with the room and complements wall paintings and other wall décor. For wall paintings, select larger artwork and opt for only a few pieces.
- Too many things in a small space makes the room seem smaller so use organization to add more space and make the surroundings free of clutter. If you no longer need or use a particular item, get rid of it. Store everything else that remains. Storage ottomans serve a dual purpose as they provide a place to keep items as well as a way to put your feet up.